By: Varsha Arya, Asia University, Taiwan. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
In today’s interconnected world, communication technologies have become increasingly critical for businesses, governments, and individuals. However, cyber threats have also grown in complexity and frequency, making it challenging to ensure the security and resilience of communication networks [1-6]. In this blog post, we will discuss the concept of cyber-resilient communication technologies and strategies for building more secure and resilient communication systems.
What are Cyber-Resilient Communication Technologies?
Cyber-resilient communication technologies are communication networks that are designed to withstand and recover from cyber-attacks [7-10]. Unlike traditional security measures designed to prevent cyber-attacks, cyber-resilient communication technologies assume that attacks will happen and focus on mitigating their impact.
Strategies for Building Cyber-Resilient Communication Technologies
- Defense in Depth: Defense in depth is a security strategy that involves using multiple layers of security measures to protect a system. This strategy can include a combination of firewalls, intrusion detection systems, and access controls.
- Continuous Monitoring: Continuous monitoring involves regularly checking the network for security breaches or anomalies. This can be done through automated tools that analyze network traffic and user behavior to detect suspicious activity.
- Incident Response Planning: An incident response plan outlines the steps to be taken in the event of a security breach. This plan should include procedures for identifying, containing, and recovering from a breach.
- Redundancy and Backup: Redundancy and backup systems can help to ensure that communication networks remain operational in the event of a cyber-attack or system failure. This can include redundant servers, backup power supplies, and data backup systems.
- Encryption: Encryption is a critical component of cyber-resilient communication technologies. Encryption can protect data transmitted over a network from interception and eavesdropping.
- Regular Training and Awareness: Regular training and awareness programs can help to ensure that employees and users are aware of potential cyber threats and how to avoid them. This can include phishing training, password management training, and other security awareness programs.
Building cyber-resilient communication technologies is essential for ensuring the security and resilience of communication networks in the face of increasing cyber threats [11-15]. Strategies such as defense in depth, continuous monitoring, incident response planning, redundancy and backup, encryption, and regular training and awareness can all help to enhance the security and resilience of communication networks [16-21]. By adopting these strategies, businesses, governments, and individuals can build communication systems that are better equipped to withstand and recover from cyber-attacks.
- Annarelli, A., Nonino, F., & Palombi, G. (2020) Understanding the management of cyber resilient systems. Computers & industrial engineering, 149, 106829.
- Elgendy, I. et al., (2021). Joint computation offloading and task caching for multi-user and multi-task MEC systems: reinforcement learning-based algorithms. Wireless Networks, 27(3), 2023-2038.
- Jin, D., Li, Z., Hannon, C., Chen, C., Wang, J., Shahidehpour, M., & Lee, C. W. (2017). Toward a cyber resilient and secure microgrid using software-defined networking. IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, 8(5), 2494-2504.
- Fraga-Lamas, P., & Fernández-Caramés, T. M. (2019). A review on blockchain technologies for an advanced and cyber-resilient automotive industry. IEEE access, 7, 17578-17598.
- Kumar, N., et al., (2021). A novel framework for risk assessment and resilience of critical infrastructure towards climate change. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 165, 120532.
- Linkov, I., & Kott, A. (2019). Fundamental concepts of cyber resilience: Introduction and overview. Cyber resilience of systems and networks, 1-25.
- Kaur, M., et al.,(2021). Secure and energy efficient-based E-health care framework for green internet of things. IEEE Transactions on Green Communications and Networking, 5(3), 1223-1231.
- Björck, F., Henkel, M., Stirna, J., & Zdravkovic, J. (2015). Cyber resilience–fundamentals for a definition. In New Contributions in Information Systems and Technologies: Volume 1 (pp. 311-316). Springer International Publishing.
- Boyes, H. (2015). Cybersecurity and cyber-resilient supply chains. Technology Innovation Management Review, 5(4), 28.
- Hammad, M., et al.,(2021). Myocardial infarction detection based on deep neural network on imbalanced data. Multimedia Systems, 1-13.
- Gupta, B. B., Li, K. C., Leung, V. C., Psannis, K. E., & Yamaguchi, S. (2021). Blockchain-assisted secure fine-grained searchable encryption for a cloud-based healthcare cyber-physical system. IEEE/CAA Journal of Automatica Sinica, 8(12), 1877-1890.
- Bodeau, D. J., Graubart, R., Picciotto, J., & McQuaid, R. (2011). Cyber resiliency engineering framework. MITRE CORP BEDFORD MA.
- Cvitić, I., et al.,(2021). Ensemble machine learning approach for classification of IoT devices in smart home. International Journal of Machine Learning and Cybernetics, 12(11), 3179-3202.
- Zhou, Q., Shahidehpour, M., Alabdulwahab, A., Abusorrah, A., Che, L., & Liu, X. (2021). Cross-layer distributed control strategy for cyber resilient microgrids. IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, 12(5), 3705-3717.
- Mishra, A., et al., (2021). Defense mechanisms against DDoS attack based on entropy in SDN-cloud using POX controller. Telecommunication systems, 77(1), 47-62.
- Khan, O., & Estay, D. A. S. (2015). Supply chain cyber-resilience: Creating an agenda for future research. Technology Innovation Management Review, 5(4).
- Nguyen, G. N., et al., (2021). Secure blockchain enabled Cyber–physical systems in healthcare using deep belief network with ResNet model. Journal of parallel and distributed computing, 153, 150-160.
- Huang, Y., Huang, L., & Zhu, Q. (2022). Reinforcement learning for feedback-enabled cyber resilience. Annual Reviews in Control.
- Sahoo, S. R., & Gupta, B. B. (2021). Multiple features based approach for automatic fake news detection on social networks using deep learning. Applied Soft Computing, 100, 106983.
- Petrenko, S. (2022). Cyber resilience. CRC Press.
- Fatemidokht, H., et al.,(2021). Efficient and secure routing protocol based on artificial intelligence algorithms with UAV-assisted for vehicular ad hoc networks in intelligent transportation systems. IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, 22(7), 4757-4769
V. Arya (2023) Building Cyber-Resilient Communication Technologies: Strategies for Enhanced Security, Insights2Techinfo, pp.1