By: Brij B Gupta, Asia University
ChatGPT is an artificial intelligence (AI) model developed by OpenAI, which allows users to interact with a virtual assistant that can provide human-like responses to questions and conversations. Launched in November 2022, ChatGPT was developed by American startup OpenAI with support from Microsoft to create a language model that can replicate various writing styles and answer queries in a genuine, human-like manner. Recently, the ChatGPT language model has reportedly been flagged for privacy issues by the Italian data protection authorities. Previously, some nations, notably China, Iran, North Korea, and Russia, have put up barriers to accessing it. The oversight body said that it would immediately prohibit OpenAI and launch an investigation into the company. According to OpenAI, all privacy regulations are met.
The Italian regulator is worried that personal information was used to train the model in violation of privacy regulations. It further emphasized that there was no legal justification for the widespread gathering and storage of personal information for the functioning of the model. It also brought attention to the danger of providing inappropriate information to children. OpenAI has been given 20 days to respond to the regulator’s concerns, after which it faces a punishment of up to €20 million or 4% of annual sales, whichever is greater.
Tble 1: ChatGPT Characteristics
|Text database||Vast database of books, articles, and websites|
|Natural language processing||Yes|
|Language support||Over 100 languages|
|Launch date||November 2022|
|Number of banned countries||China, Iran, North Korea, Russia, Italy|
|Integration with Microsoft||Added to Bing and plans to integrate with Office|
|Privacy compliance||Complies with privacy laws|
In response to a US complaint, the BEUC has also requested an examination of ChatGPT and related chatbots. The European Union (EU) is working on laws to govern artificial intelligence (AI). Still, the BEUC is afraid that it will take years before it can take effect, leaving consumers vulnerable.
The Italian prohibition on ChatGPT emphasizes the significance of European Union regulation compliance for businesses. Businesses cannot treat compliance with data protection requirements as an afterthought; they must prioritize protecting customer data. The restriction has sparked discussions about the use of AI systems and the need of stringent regulation to safeguard customers.
Advantages of ChatGPT:
- Improved Efficiency: ChatGPT can assist individuals with tasks, reducing the time and effort required to complete them. This can be particularly helpful in busy environments, where time is of the essence.
- Personalization: ChatGPT can be tailored to an individual’s specific needs and preferences, making it a highly personalized tool. This ensures that the chatbot provides accurate and relevant information that is specific to the user.
- Access to Information: ChatGPT has access to a vast database of information, making it an excellent tool for individuals who need quick and accurate information. This can be particularly helpful in fields such as medicine, where quick access to information can be life-saving.
- Entertainment: ChatGPT can also provide entertainment, such as generating text in different writing styles or creating stories. This can be a fun and creative way for individuals to spend their free time.
Disadvantages of ChatGPT:
- Dependence: Over-reliance on ChatGPT can lead to a decrease in critical thinking and problem-solving skills. This can be particularly harmful in educational and professional settings, where critical thinking is essential.
- Privacy Concerns: The vast amount of personal data collected by ChatGPT can raise privacy concerns, particularly if the data is misused or falls into the wrong hands.
- Accuracy: Although ChatGPT is highly accurate, it is not infallible. Users must be aware that the chatbot’s responses are based on the data it has been fed and may not always be accurate.
ChatGPT can significantly improve customer experience and reduce the workload of human support agents. It can handle a high volume of inquiries, provide 24/7 support, and offer personalized responses. This leads to faster response times and higher customer satisfaction, which can ultimately lead to increased customer loyalty and revenue for businesses. However, the use of ChatGPT raises concerns around privacy and security. It collects and stores user data, including conversations and payment information, which can be vulnerable to data breaches and cyberattacks. ChatGPT needs more emotional intelligence and empathy, which can lead to a less satisfactory experience for some users. Furthermore, it can perpetuate existing societal biases and discrimination if not properly trained and monitored. Hence, ChatGPT-like tools are good but they can not replace human beings.
- BBC News
- OpenAI. (2021). GPT-3. Retrieved from https://openai.com/api/gpt-3/
- Brown, T. B., Mann, B., Ryder, N., Subbiah, M., Kaplan, J., Dhariwal, P., … & Amodei, D. (2020). Language models are few-shot learners. arXiv preprint arXiv:2005.14165.
- Kitamura, F. C. (2023). ChatGPT is shaping the future of medical writing but still requires human judgment. Radiology, 230171.
- Qadir, J. (2022). Engineering education in the era of ChatGPT: Promise and pitfalls of generative AI for education.