By: KUKUTLA TEJONATH REDDY, International Center for AI and Cyber Security Research and Innovations (CCRI), Asia University, Taiwan, email@example.com
Virtual Private Network (VPNs) will play major role in this digital world with help of VPNs we can safeguard your privacy and security. VPN is one of the best approaches for secure end to end connection between two ends. When we are using VPNs, it creates an encrypted connection. which is used to transfer all the data and commination. In this article we will talk about some concepts of VPNs, how VPN works, and types of VPNs
In this interconnected digital world, online data privacy and security is important. Day by day cyber threats are increasing, people are worried about there data privacy. To protect their data people and organisations can use VPNs. VPNs are the one of the best approaches for securing their data. It will create an encrypted connection between the end points. In this article we are discussing about fundamental concepts of VPNs, working of VPN, and different types of VPNs.
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) will help people to communicate securely and privately on internet. VPN will create a private network connection in a public area network. Such as internet and public Wi-Fi. The network traffic between device and the network will be encrypted. Corporate employees can connect the corporate network by using VPN securely even they are outside the office. We can install VPN on smartphones, tablets, and other devices.
How VPNs Work:
Encryption: When you connect to a VPN server, it collects your data and it will change into secret code. If any attacker tries to steal the data, all the data will be in jumble of letters and numbers that doesn’t make any sense, unless they have the decryption key to unlock it.
Tunneling: Once the data gets encrypted into a secret code. It allows for secure movement of data from one network to another network.
Masking Your IP Address:
Whenever user gets connected with VPN server, the real IP address will hide and VPN server will assign a new VPN address. When you are using VPN, For attacker it will be difficult to track or trace your online activities.
Types of VPN:
Remote Access VPN:
Remote access VPN will work well for individual users. It will help to user to connect safely to a private network when the user is at home or in a coffee shop. People who usually work from home or far from the office will use these types of VPNs to keep work data safe.
Site-to-site VPN helps to establish connection between two or more networks at a time. These types of VPNs mostly used in co-operate business companies to connect multiple branch office
Mobile VPN are designed for android and IOS mobile devices like smartphones and tablets. This VPN is similar to remaining VPN but it is an optimized VPN for mobile devices. Mobile VPN will create a virtual private network between user and cell phone network. It will create safe and encrypted connection
Secure socket layer (SSL) VPN will create a secure and encrypted connection between user and remote network on internet. People usually use SSL VPN to secure websites and web applications
OpenVPN are mostly used for security and performance. OpenVPN is one of the mostly recommended VPN, it is an open-source VPN and it has strong encryption. This is why most of the people recommend OpenVPN.
Virtual Private Network (VPN) is one of the most important tools to secure online privacy and security. There are different types of VPNs user should show according to their requirements to protect their personal data or business information. In this article we mentioned some concepts of VPN, how VPN works, and types of VPN. From this article you can safeguard your data or information in this modern digital world.
- A. Alshalan, S. Pisharody and D. Huang, “A Survey of Mobile VPN Technologies,” in IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 1177-1196, Secondquarter 2016, doi: 10.1109/COMST.2015.2496624.
- Z. Wu and M. Xiao, “Performance Evaluation of VPN with Different Network Topologies,” 2019 IEEE 2nd International Conference on Electronics Technology (ICET), Chengdu, China, 2019, pp. 51-55, doi: 10.1109/ELTECH.2019.8839611.
- Mohamed, M. A., Abou-El-Seoud, ,M.E.A., & El-Feki, A. (2014). A survey of VPN security issues. International Journal of Computer Science Issues (IJCSI), 11(4), 106-111. Retrieved from
- Yakova, Zornitsa. (2013). A New Virtual Private Networks Access Model.
- Amith Singh, Afridi Mallick “A Survey on Virtual Private Network” in National Conference On Contemporary Research and Innovations in Computer Science (NCCRICS)- Dec 2017
- Chawla, Baljot & Gupta, O P & B.K.Sawhney,. (2014). A Review on IPsec and SSL VPN. International Journal of Scientific and Engineering Research. 5.
REDDY K.T (2023) Exploring Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) and Their Types, Insights2Techinfo, pp.1